Sunday, March 27, 2011

SUNSET RIDE

  Nice sunset ride down 99 then a loop around Lake Mazaska on the SteamRoller.  33.1KM (5.5 on gravel). Lots of interesting wildlife sightings.  Thought I could see Troll tracks on the gravel loop around Mazaska and then just before I got back on Highway 21 a coyote dashed across the road in front of me.  Stopped to take a sip of coffee just before climbing the hill at the intersection of 21 and 99 and I had three Great Blue Herons off to the side of the road and then three Sandhills flew overhead.  I thought it was a a successful ride at that point.  Cresting the hill there were 35 Whitetail deer!
  The interesting thing about encountering wildlife while riding is that a bicycle seems to be more disturbing than an automobile to them.  Last week there was a Bald Eagle roosting in a tree at the end of the driveway and car after car went by without seeming to even phase it.  But the moment I rolled under it flew away.
  Found a pretty nice flashlight just before turning into the drive too.  Except for the headwind for the first half of the ride it was a very nice evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment